If you’re wondering where to stay in Naxos, this article will walk you through the best hotels in Naxos, the best apartments and houses in Naxos, and the best locations to stay in Naxos.
Naxos is a huge island, but much of the east coast is underdeveloped. There are a few main places you’ll want to stay in Naxos: Plaka, Agios Prokopios, Agia Anna, and the main town of Naxos.
If you are visiting Naxos during the summer months, then you will find plenty of restaurants and hotels open. However, if you are planning to visit in the off season, you may want to consider staying right in the main town of Naxos.
If you are visiting Greece in October or May just on the edges of high season, you will be able to get great prices, nice weather, and fewer crowds, too.
There are, of course, dozens of other towns to enjoy around Naxos, but if you want to be close to amenities while enjoying your vacation on the island, these are the best places to base yourself.
Getting to Naxos
There are two ways to get to Naxos; by sea or by air.
If you are arriving from the Athens Airport, check out our guide to the city here which explains not only all of the best things to see and do in the city, but also how to get yourself to the port.
If you are flying into Greece from Mykonos or Santorini Airports, you can also access Naxos by ferry.
I use the app FerryHopper to book all of my ferries around Greece (and anywhere else in Europe for that matter!). Check prices and timetables in the box below.
There is also an airport on Naxos, Naxos Airport Apollon (Code: JNX). You can only fly into the Naxos airport from Athens. There are no other direct flights to the island.
If you want to skip over Athens or you have already been to the city before, you can connect directly in Athens to Naxos about six times a day. Check flight times and prices on Kiwi here.
Where to Stay in Naxos
The different beaches around the island all offer something a little bit different.
- Plaka: Plaka Beach is one of the most famous places to stay in Naxos, but it also happens to be the least developed part of the island on this list of places to stay in Naxos. This beach is long and the water is mostly slack. It’s wide open for wind to sweep though which makes it incredibly popular with wind and kitesurfers. Especially in the summer when the Meltemi winds take over.
- Agios Prokopios: Arguably the best beach town on Naxos (as voted by me), Agios Prokopios is my personal favorite place to stay in Naxos. The town has a stunning beach, tons of great beach clubs, some seriously fantastic restaurants, and a huge selection of hotels for every budget.
- Agia Anna: Just down the road from Prokopios, Anna is slightly less developed, a little bit quieter, and has a beautiful small beach. There are a few restaurants, beach clubs, and plenty of wonderful hotels and apartments.
- Naxos Town: If you want to be at the center of the city where you are close to the best restaurants on the island and you don’t mind hopping on the bus or renting a car to get to the beaches each day, then you’ll want to base yourself in Naxos town or Naxos Chora in Greek. This is where the port is located and where you can get a bus to absolutely anywhere else on the island.
Top Tip for Booking the Best Places to Stay in Naxos
While Naxos is certainly not anywhere near as busy as other Cycladic islands like Mykonos or Santorini, it is also by no means “undiscovered.”
Every July and August, tourists flood the ferries to arrive in Naxos and the hotels fill up fast. While it doesn’t necessarily feel like the island is packed with people during the day, when you go to plan your trip and find where to stay in Naxos, you will realize just how popular this place is.
Hotels and apartments, especially the best hotels in Naxos, book out months in advance.
If you are planning a trip to the island at any point between May and September, be sure you book at least 4-5 months in advance otherwise you risk losing out on the best places to stay in Naxos.
Best Hotels in Naxos
If you would prefer to stay in a hotel while you are staying in Naxos, these are the absolute best hotels in Naxos for every budget.
If you are only staying in Naxos for a few days, this is the ideal option. Most places include breakfast and then you can dine out at the island’s top restaurants for lunch and dinner.
- Hotel Ariadne: This is an utterly perfect hotel for feeling like you are truly on vacation. Located one block from the beach in Agios Prokopios and with a huge outdoor pool with plenty of lounge chairs to relax on, Hotel Ariadne is excellent value for money. Take one of the rooms near the bottom floor for under $150 per night or opt for a seaview on the higher floors with those rooms starting at $180 per night. Book a stay at Hotel Ariadne here.
- Naxian on the Beach: One of the best places to stay in Naxos, Naxian on the Beach is a stunning little hotel located right on Plaka Beach. It really doesn’t get better than this when you can wake up and walk straight out onto the sand. Sit in your Jacuzzi on the balcony that overlooks the sea or sip a cold Mythos while you watch the sunset. Rooms here are decorated in a Boho style and a fantastic breakfast is included each morning. Rooms start at $140 per night. Book a stay at Naxian on the Beach here.
- Porto Naxos: Located right on the edge of the town of Naxos and a close walk to the town’s beach, Agios Georgios Beach. Rooms are simply decorated, but large and comfortable. Staff are friendly and the breakfast has a nice selection to keep you interested for several days in a row. This is a great option if you want to be near the beach and the town. You get the best of both worlds at Porto Naxos. Rooms start at $104 per night. Book a stay at Porto Naxos here.
- Something Else: Less than 50 meters from the beach in Agia Anna, Something Else is truly as the name suggests. There is an outdoor pool with plenty of places to relax and breakfast is available for a small additional fee. They have a few apartments available, but many of the studios only have small kitchenettes. This is a wonderful budget option with rooms starting as low as $45 per night. Book a stay at Something Else here.
- Xenia Hotel: Another fantastic hotel located right in the Naxos main town (also called Chora in Greek), this hotel is a budget-friendly option that doesn’t feel like a budget hotel at all. Rooms are clean and comfortable, the lobby is modern and breakfast is available each morning. Rooms start as low as $60 per night. Book a stay at Xenia Hotel here.
- Naxos Magic Village: Despite looking and feeling like a resort, Naxos Magic Village has rooms that suit every budget. With double rooms for as little as $50 per night and suites with sea views that can start at $200 per night, there really is something for everyone at Naxos Magic Village. Located about halfway between Naxos Town and Agios Prokopios in Stelida, this is best accessed by renting a car for the duration of your stay. However, you will then have access to the beach here, a swimming pool, tennis courts, and a wonderful breakfast each morning. Check availability and book a stay at Naxos Magic Village here.
- Ostria Inn: This boutique hotel is situated on the absolute opposite side of the island to the town of Naxos, but if you are looking for a true island escape, you’ll get it at Ostria Inn. It’s a one-minute walk to the beach and has a relaxing outdoor pool and lounge area with a bar. There’s an onsite restaurant that does exquisite meals in the evenings. Rooms are stylishly decorated and breakfast includes locally made honey and seasonal fruits. This really is one of the best hotels in Naxos. Rooms start at $190 per night. Book a stay at Ostria Inn here.
Best Houses and Apartments in Naxos
If you plan to spend more than two or three days in Naxos, then I would recommend staying in a house, apartment, or condo on the island.
All of the towns in Naxos have very well-stocked grocery stores and you can easily self-cater without breaking the bank. These are my top picks for the best of where to stay in Naxos if you want to self-cater.
I prefer to search for self-contained units either on Booking.com or Plum Guide. Check out all of the apartments and houses available in Naxos over on Plum Guide here.
- Annio Boutique Studios: These apartments on the beach are located in Plaka. So if you want to do some windsurfing or you just want to be close to this adventure beach then this is a great self-catering option. Every apartment has a small kitchenette with a two-hob stove and mini-fridge. Some of the rooms have sea views and others have private spa pools on the balconies. Check out all of the available apartments and prices here.
- Sea & Olive Villas and Suites: Another great Plaka apartment complex (Plaka has had a lot of development in recent years), this stunning complex has everything from studios to family villas with private pools. There are several different budget ranges, but overall it sits at the luxury end of the price range. Check out all of their available options here.
- Shadows on the Sand: Located in Agia Anna, this stunning villa has three bedrooms, four bathrooms, a shared pool, and a rooftop terrace. If you are visiting the island as a family or with a group of friends, this is a fantastic option that is both well-located and incredibly comfortable. Depending on the time of year and the number of days booked, the home starts at $280 per night. Book a stay at Shadows on the Sand here.
- Glass of Kitron: If you want to self-cater and be close to Plaka Beach, this home is a fantastic option. It’s a one-bedroom condo with the most incredible views of the sea that you can look out at straight from your bed. It has a huge covered balcony and there is even a garden where you can pick fresh vegetables and herbs for your meals. Prices start at $230 per night. Book a stay at Glass of Kitron here.
- Cycladic Star: If you are wondering where to stay in Naxos with a larger group of people, this is an incredible option. Whether you want a fun week away with friends or you are planning a trip with your extended family, this place has it all. This home has four bedrooms and four bathrooms. It has a huge terrace and a swimming pool. There’s a beautiful outdoor dining area and a wonderful kitchen to prepare meals with your group. It is located just a few minutes south of Plaka. Check prices and availability here.